With Halloween over, we’ve now got a good 4/5 weeks until the Christmas party season kicks off in earnest and all the excesses it entails. Now is one of the best times of the year to get in great shape, without being distracted by summer holidays, bank holidays, BBQ’s or drinking in the sun etc. Here’s my top 10 tips to get in great shape for Christmas.
- Stick strictly to only one cheat night a week.
- Eat your largest meal of the day at lunch and include some complex carbs. Provide the calories and energy when you need them and have a chance to burn them off
- Have 5 leafy salads a week in the evening and include lots of lean protein.
- If eating out, you choose the restaurant and pick ones you know have healthy choices on the menu
- 1 or 2 days a week, do a 16-hour fast. So for example finish your evening meal at 8pm, then don’t eat again until 12pm the next day.
- Plan, Shop & Prep, as many of your weeks meals as you can, on Sunday or Monday
- Exercise 5 times a week. Book classes and courses and pay for them in advance. You’ll be less likely to not show up, as you’ve already paid for them.
- You must exercise once over the weekend, not just Monday to Friday.
- Do a mix of both cardio and strength training throughout the week and avoid doing the same thing 2 days in a row.
- Try some fasted cardio (if already fit). Exercise having not eaten in at least 6 hours. Short interval training 30-40mins is best.
Every year in the first week of January, I get calls from people crying, after they’ve tried to fit into their work clothes for the first time in a few weeks and are spilling out of them or can’t close buttons. Have fun and enjoy yourself over Christmas but don’t use it as an excuse to go crazy with food and alcohol. Focus now on getting in great shape and in great form for the parties, then relax over Christmas and gain a few pounds guilt free.
Everyone’s sick of eating sugar and drinking alcohol in January, so you’ll be in the right frame of mind to lose any extra weight you gained. Checkout my Body Slim weight loss and toning courses here.